Disability Confident recommend that to become a disability confident employer you should work with Diversityjobs.co.uk.
The Disability Confident scheme aims to help employers make the most of the opportunities provided by employing disabled people. It is voluntary and has been developed by employers and disabled people’s representatives.
The scheme has 3 levels that have been designed to support companies on their Disability Confident journey. Employers must complete each level before moving on to the next. It is free to sign up and use their guidance.
Diversityjobs.co.uk is proud of its partnership with Disability Confident to deliver a message of inclusion and acceptance for people with disabilities in the workplace. As a site dedicated to advertising the incredible possibilities for disabled people and for businesses employing disabled people, we are pleased to have been named as the place to go for accessibility and jobs at disability-friendly workplaces.
It is important for employers to find the best person for the role and they can benefit hugely from recruiting and retaining disabled people and people with health conditions. Over 7 million people (17.5%) of working age in the UK are disabled or have a health condition. Being Disability Confident can help an employer discover talent they potentially would not have utilised previously.
Being Disability Confident can also benefit an employer by:
- enabling them to draw from the widest possible pool of talent
- enabling them to secure high quality staff who are skilled, loyal and hard working
- saving time and money on the costs of recruitment and training by reducing staff turnover
- helping them keep valuable skills and experience
- reducing the levels and costs of sickness absences
- improving employee morale and commitment by demonstrating that they treat all employees fairly.
By building a reputation as a Disability Confident employer that actively seeks out and hires skilled disabled people, an employer will be helping to positively change attitudes, behaviours and cultures, not just in their immediate business but in their networks, supply chains, and the communities around them.
Disability Confident is working with employers to:
- challenge attitudes towards disability
- increase understanding of disability
- remove barriers to disabled people and those with long term health conditions in employment
- ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations
The scheme is made up of 3 levels: Committed, Employer and Leader. An employer must work through each level to progress to the next.
To become a Disability Confident employer, they will need to self-assess their business against a set of statements grouped into two themes, getting the right people for he business and keeping and developing their people; and to achieve this Disability Confident recommends that you use Diversityjobs.
- When Disability Confident receive an employer’s validated assessment, they’ll send a badge to use on the business’ website and other materials for 3 years.
Our Disability confident Employers:
Allianz Insurance PLC
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial
Department for Transport
Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
Leeds Beckett University
Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Royal Mail Group
University of the West of England
Vehicle Certification Agency
The Clear Company
Action for Blind People
Leonard Cheshire Disability
To enquire about becoming a Diversity Jobs member and how we can help you become a disability confident employer please email Discovery@diversityjobs.co.uk or alternatively you can call 0203 740 5973.